Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Centre piece of most conversations

Pretty, Useful


The only thing worth loving is food.
So said … well many friends of mine, many times.

 The two minute telephone conversation invariably includes one of these  questions—what have you made for lunch/dinner? What did you eat this evening? Wow…great, and what starters did they serve?

As a serious journalist, and a person who considers herself a very responsible, proud, Indian, I do loose my cool when I hear and read views that Indians are eating a lot, and so the food scarcity and so the food inflation and so on. 

Why should our countrymen and women  not eat, and eat more than they used to..say10 or 15 years ago? I too do!
I am in love with food, and unabashed as I admit it.

When I have no particular agenda as I am surfing, I hop from one food site or food blog, to another, very often randomly, following links, not really looking for any particular recipe. Ditto when I am watching TV. When I  have no news or entertainment channel that I  particularly want  to watch, it is one of the many channels that show food in some form.

Much of the kilos I want to shed may have been gained simply by looking at food rather than actually eating those beautiful dishes.


Just like many of friends and relatives, I experiment, substituting what I believe is a healthier option, and more importantly the quickest and easiest way of making something, without majorly compromising on taste. And yes, in these days of spiraling food prices, I also try to keep the cost of a dish down.

There are great food blogs out there, many that pop up when I google for something that I  am craving for, and may or may not have the vaguest idea on how to make .  My daughter prefers to call me up, and have me tell her, very approximately, how I make a particular dish.

I am in love with food, and would like to network with others  who love cooking, sharing  the results of their labour and their experiences and of course, eating. The idea is also to see and show the lovely and handy stuff that flow into the markets regularly, making cooking almost a breezy affair.

Some of  the recent gifts I received are:

An oil/egg brush and a  micro-waveable   single helping  bakeware my friend Mala gave me, and a lovely bowl  with  Mexican looking pattern, that my cousin Shantha brought .

(Pix clicked on my Nokia E5,photoshopped a wee bit)



No comments:

Post a Comment