Friday, May 4, 2012

Fresh Filter Coffee --South Indian

The modern coffee pot and the traditional coffee filter


Think fresh South Indian filter coffee, and comes to mind the traditional stainless steel coffee filter-- like a tumbler with perforations at the base, fitted atop another, and a lid right on top. The coffee powder-- P berry or arabica or whatever-- goes on top.Fill it with hot water, and a few minutes later, the aroma in the air tells you that the  nice dark decoction is ready.

Then begins the struggle.

Taking off the top tumbler, holding the hot bottom one, is not always easy. How often I have wished that the traditional design had been improved, given a handle, a spout, and made...well...as convenient to pour, as the good old tea pot.

As I was strolling on the road along  Mylapore temple on my last visit to Chennai, I saw just that. A stainless steel coffee pot with all the good features of the good old filter. The pot--the size I bought--was Rs420. A similar sized traditional filter was less than Rs100 ! But it being a dream come true, I bought it.

When I made the coffee--powder from Leo nearby-- I must confess I was a bit disappointed.It was weak. Too weak.
But I kept trying.

A month ago, I bought a packet of Drizzle from Cafe Coffee Day. It is a small carton of ten coffee bags, like tea bags. The coffee was really good. But what I really liked was a little tip that came on the directions printed on the carton. We've been asked to put just a wee bit of boiling water over the coffee bag in the cup, then wait for 20 seconds, and then pour the cupful of hot water.That gave real good, strong, coffee.

I applied that to the coffee powder in the coffee pot. The result was astounding. Great cuppa, easily pourable. Looks good on the table. No mess, no fuss. Only great style!

The inside view



This is how it looks from inside. A perforated bowl rests on top.

Pix shot on my Nokia E5, photoshopped a wee bit.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vijaya,

    I liked your blog very much. I want to know from which shop you bought the coffee pot. I am searching it for a long time. Your words will be much helpful.
    rgds
    Manjusai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I bought this coffee pot at one of the small stainless steel utensils stores in Mylapore, Chennai. Now I see such pots at most bar tan shops in Madras

      Delete