Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Grand Lux Cafe, Chicago

View from the Window

To return from Chicago without eating at the Grand Lux Café is a step short of sin.

I was only passing by. Jayashree, my cousin in Chicago,  said I should not miss it, and took me to this beautiful , grand , large scale café or bistro, with a huge seating capacity, tables packed very tightly in terms of space.

 It was pouring cats and dogs in Windy City, but the place was chocabloc all the same. Apparently very popular with the locals. And every single person was engrossed in food as much as conversation.


The place is apparently a favourite with Jayashree and her husband Ravi, and she knew what to order without bothering about the menu card. Apparently, it was easier because choices get limited for vegetarians .
Jayashree

And so it was Double Stuffed Potato Spring Rolls for which the Grand Lux is famous and  Fettuccini Alfredo . I tried guessing what all may have gone into the crisp potato spring roll that melted into my mouth, leaving a light cheesy flavor, a hint of spring onions and garlic. They served it with sour cream. Nice  and cheesy, hot and crisp.  The perfect equivalent of garam garam pakode on a cold, rainy day.

It was only after clearing the last morsel, that it occurred to me I’d forgotten to click a picture of this lovely dish. The pasta was good, but not greatly different from what I’ve eaten elsewhere.

The best order, Jayashree  had reserved for the last. Not only because it was to be a dessert, but it was to be a dessert no one can help falling in love with.

Molten Chocolate cake with Vanilla Ice Cream

Molten chocolate cake with a melted chocolate centre, vanilla ice cream to go with it, and a couple of strawberries, perhaps for good measure. My mouth was watering, goading me to rip the knife through and split it  between us, and attack. The eyes were saying, hold on, behold. It was simply but beautifully plated and served. And guess what? We had to wait for sometime for the mistake of not ordering in the beginning. Desserts are baked to order!

Great  ambience and greater food! Total value for money.

I plan on trying out a desi/home version of the DSPS rolls. 

Tulips

No comments:

Post a Comment