Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kuih Koci, a Malaysian desert.


Food knows no borders...land , mountain or sea

Kuih Koci, photo borrowed from Poh's Kitchen


The  jiggery and coconut stuffed “kozhakkattai”  is something that I have always loved.

I was pleasantly surprised to eat a cigarette-shaped(and sized) version of it at a Chinese restaurant – do not recall if it was Mainland China in Chennai, a favourite place with all of us sisters—or at the Chinese on the sixth floor of Shivalik View in Chandigarh.

Shape and size apart, what it did not have that kozhakkattais have, was the scent of elaichi powder(cardamom), but as if to make up, or perhaps to dress up, there was a drizzle of floral scented honey on top.

Imagine my pleasant surprise, when I discovered last night, yet another version of Ganesha’s favourite “modak”, with a name that comes pretty close to kozhakkattai. Kuih Koci, a Malaysian desert.

Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines  and neighbouring Oriental countries have a good sprinkling of Indians, and even  had geographical connections in the past. It is also reasonable to suspect that coastal areas will have similar or marginally different but basically similar food. But so close to a kozhakkattai in Malaysia…I still find it difficult to believe.

I “saw” this dish being made by Poh in the show called “Poh’s Kitchen” on Fox Traveller show. Apparently it is not a very new episode.

Yet it is worth taking a look. I plan to try this Kuih Koci  after a couple of weeks, after I’ve fully recovered from a huge overdose of Kozhakkattais.

You please, check it out, and try to it too. And share your experience with me.


And when I mined the net for this, I saw yet another shape and size of the same dish !

See this...

As I said, this picture is from a blog. It looks like a stuffed rosagulla!





No comments:

Post a Comment