Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mini Oothappams/Sunny side up rice flour mini pancake


Bite sized, crunchy and tasty...

Mini Oothappams/Sunny side up dosais


Some years ago, my mother mentioned that my aunty had served her lovely mini idlis. “They were like flowers, tiny, you could eat them without messing up your hands…and even if you were full, you could eat one or two ..unlike the regular idlis which are too big,” was the way my mother described her mini-idli experience Above all, she was smitten by how neatly they could be presented.

I hurried to the sole  stainless steel bartan store in Chandigarh that stocks utensils used for South Indian cooking , and bought one. Not having the patience that my aunty had, I gifted three of the four plates away to friends who thought mini idlis was a great idea. I don’t know whether they used theirs, but I have never used the mini-idlis plate languishing in a far away corner of my kitchen cabinet.

Recently I read about how small portions is one of the definitive features of gourmet food, and wondered if I should hunt out that mini-idli plate..but settled for mini oothappams, making them look like the “sunny side ups” that my young niece Neha had so wanted me to blog about !

The best thing about this is you need not labour, if you have some dosai or idli batter handy. Pour half a regular ladel, spread out to make pancakes of  about three inches diameter,  and flip them over. Garnish  one side with chilly powder/gun powder, such that this looks like the marigold colour of egg yolk, plate and serve.
The bite-size and the gun powder together make it a good starter. And three or more on a regular plate, with chutney and sambar on the side, it turns instantly, into a breakfast, mini-meal or high tea.

Try it….enjoy !




No comments:

Post a Comment